One thing the iPhone definitely needs… Profiles!

I use profiles frequently on my Nokia devices and really miss that option on the iPhone.

When I’m in the car using the iPod, I want to turn mail notifications off and while I can do it manually, I’d prefer to set the phone into car mode. Lying in bed, I’d like system sounds on, but don’t want to hear the ringer in the middle of the night or hear my email coming in…

There’s a hardware switch which you can use to change things to silent, but you have to also choose to turn vibration off manually in settings in order to make the phone actually quiet which is handy if you charge on your bedside table as I do.

There are currently no settings for what uses vibration or options (like silent) for sounds per app. Right now it’s as Apple decided. A simple profiles setting (like what’s in all my Nokia’s) or a 3rd party app when the day comes we can install something would be much appreciated.

Technorati Tags:
, , ,

13 comments for “One thing the iPhone definitely needs… Profiles!

1. james
    7/21/2008 at 7:42 pm

i agree, i love the iphone to bits but would love to change ringtones & alerts for different times of dasy (i.e sleep, work)

2. yod
    7/27/2008 at 11:08 pm

yess I love profiles on nokia so i wish this on my iPhone too!

3. Bomb
    10/14/2008 at 8:40 am

fully agreed with this comment and I'm waitting forward for this kind of applicatiob.

4. Ryan
    4/13/2009 at 7:52 pm

this would be a very useful feature, also being able to automatically set different profiles at different times of the week would be handy.. i.e, 9am-5pm on weekdays – set the ringtone to something suitable for work.

5. T
    4/26/2009 at 9:52 am

You would think with all the apps already available this would be too

6. john
    6/18/2009 at 12:51 pm

agreed. cant believe nobodys made an app!!

7. Maurits
    6/25/2009 at 1:58 pm

I totaly agree. I use profiles ALL the time on my nokia. With programs like “Best Profiles” automatic switching between preset profiles based on gsm cell locations or calendar entry's becomes possible. Simply great.
    I realy love the Iphone OS (on my Ipod Touch), but lacking this feature, i'm sticking to nokia for the time being….

8. craig
    6/29/2009 at 11:49 am

i agree. and the fact that the SDK does not allow access to these settings is a crime.

9. Jens Anders
    8/29/2009 at 2:49 am

I totally agree.
    Using Nokia I very much likeHandy Profiles – especially since I'm an IT technician using monitoring system which sends sms 24 / 7. Well – I could tell the monitoring system not tosend alarmin the night but in the morningI wouldn't know what had happened in the night.

I have colleges that use iPhone which need what you have asked for….

10. GaryJB
    10/18/2009 at 10:56 pm

This is very much needed. My daughter loves to play with certain apps that I've downloaded for her on my iphone. I'd love to be able to enable the “little one” profile that only allows the applications that I want her to use to work.
    I shouldn't have to hover over her or check up on her while she's having fun.

11. GaryJB
    10/19/2009 at 2:56 am

I shouldn't have to hover over her or check up on her while she's having fun.

12. kura1
    2/3/2010 at 11:32 am

I think Apple should study the Blackberry device for a while. Blackberry, besides profile, has a little magnet that make possible for the device to know if it is inside or outside the holster. The profile changes automatically, according your previous configuration. It is possible, for instance, to set the behavior of the device for each e-mail account, chosing the sound, if it will vibrate, the behavior inside the holster, outside it, etc…

13. kura1